"Michigan State Championship"
Saturday July 7th
10:00am to 3:00pm
The Amateur competition is a
mixed team/solo event intended as a venue for beginning
or advanced amateurs and is open to all levels except
Masters and Professionals.
AMATEURS!!! REGISTRATION NOTICE!!
THE NUMBER OF PLOTS IS LIMITED and are available on
a first-come first-served basis. Pre-register by mail to
reserve your plot today. Simply Download the
(CLICK HERE) complete it and mail along with
registration fee by Thursday, June 28th, 2018 to:
P.O. Box 610518
Port Huron, MI
Make checks payable to: Friends of
the Fort Gratiot Light w/SandFest 2018 on memo line. Any
plots not reserved by June 28th will be open to the
public beginning July 6, 2018.
also available at SandFest on Friday, July 6th from
10:00 am to 8:00 pm, and on Saturday, July 7th from 9:00
am to 9:45 am.
REMEMBER, SPACE IS LIMITED!!!
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD REGISTRATION FORM.
• Saturday July 7th - 10:00am to 3:00pm
• Registration starts at 9:00am and ends at 9:45am
• Judging begins at 3:00pm sharp
• Award Ceremony (see schedule)
Attention: only registered sculptors will be allowed into the event site prior to event opening..
• Children Up to age 8 (solo and team)
• Children 9 to 12 years (solo and team)
• Families/Groups - (maximum 6 per team)
• Businesses (maximum 6 per team)
• Solo 13 to 17 years
• Solo Adult above 18 years
• All work will be done using only the sand in your assigned, 10’ x 10’ plot with approx. 2 yards of sand.
• Nothing may be added to the sand except water.
• No power equipment, screw guns or machinery are allowed in your plot.
• No templates or molds are allowed when sculpting.
• Only registered team members are allowed inside of your plot.
• All tools and personal items must not block spectator aisles.
• Absolutely no glue is allowed.
• Ours is a family-oriented event; the organizers, sponsors and public feel strongly that sculptures should
not include anything that would commonly be considered offensive.
• Umbrellas, tents or other shade devices may not be used.
• Anyone working before the start time or after the stop time will be disqualified.
• All forms must be removed and all compacted sand must be sculpted or otherwise altered by hand once the
forms are removed. Contest organizers reserve the right to disqualify any sculptures that are obviously unfinished.
• Only water and the sand from within the assigned plots may be used to create the sculptures.
• Only naturally occurring, and biodegradable items found on the beach that day such as seaweed and
shells may be used for decoration.
• No artificial color, paint, flour, sugar cement or adhesives of any type may be used.
• The decisions of the judges are final.
• The start time is 10:00am and the stop time is 3:00pm (5 hours total). Judging will begin promptly at 3:00.
• Contestants must provide all their own buckets and shovels, carving tools etc.
• Contestants will get their water from water containers located near the sculpting plots.
$10.00 per sculptor (registration fee gets you into event for the day)
• 1st – 3rd in each category